Ukraine is located in Eastern Europe. The country shares its borders with Russia to the east and northeast, Belarus to the north, Poland and Slovakia to the west and Hungary, Romania and Moldova to the southeast, whereas the borders of the south and southeast are covered by the Black Sea and the Sea of Azov. Kiev is not only the capital but
also the largest city in this country. The total area covered by this country is 603,500 square kilometers, and around 42,539,010 people live here. The national language of this country is Ukrainian, and Russian is also spoken by the people of this country.
Ukraine has the second largest army in Europe after Russia. It houses different ethnic groups besides Ukrainians. There are many Russians, Romanians/Moldovans, Belarusians, Crimean Tatars, and Hungarians in this country. Ukraine is the country of fertile farmlands and is one of the world’s largest grain exporters.
Top 10 Fun and Interesting Facts about Ukraine
- Ukraine ranks 13th in the list of countries with the highest literacy rate. It supports around 150 colleges and universities and has around 80 research centers. The literacy rate of Ukraine is 99.8% in men and 99.7% in women. The Ostroh Academy is one of the oldest universities in Ukraine, established in 1576, and is considered to be the first higher education institute in Ukraine.
- When Ukraine declared its independence from the USSR, it was holding over a thousand nuclear warheads, which made it the biggest nuclear threat to Russia. The Ukrainians decided to hand over the warheads to the Russia and destroyed the silos.
- According to a Research & Branding survey, more than 80% of Ukrainians have never left their country or traveled abroad.
- Everywhere in the world, people wear their wedding rings on the left hand, but Ukraine is the only country in the world where they wear their wedding rings on their right hand.
- They don’t only wear their rings on their right hands but also drive on the right side of the road instead of the left.
- The official drinking age in Ukraine is 18, and the average Ukrainian drinks around 13.9 liters of alcohol per year. This makes them the 6th heaviest drinkers in the world. The first five are Belarus, Moldova, Lithuania, Russia, and Romania. This could be because alcohol is pretty cheap in Ukraine; a bottle of beer costs between $0.5 and $1.5.
- The Ukrainian anthem consists of only 6 lines. There are four couplets and two refrains.
- Arsenalna Metro Station is the deepest metro station in the world. It is located in Kiev and has a depth of
around 105 meters. It was built in 1960 and according to some local stories, it was built as a secret bomb shelter for the elites of the country.
- The Ukrainian language was ranked the world’s third most beautiful language in a linguistic contest held in Paris in 1934.
- The world’s third most visited McDonald’s is located in Vokzalna Square in Kiev.