The beautiful country of Kazakhstan ranges from the Caspian Sea to the Altai Mountains, from the west to the east. China and Russia border it on the east. Kazakhstan’s largest metropolitan city, Almaty, is the most significant hub in the country. It has many famous landmarks which include the Tsarist-era Russian Orthodox Church, Ascension Cathedral, and the Central State Museum of Kazakhstan which has all the famous artifacts of the country.
Top 12 Fun and Interesting Facts about Kazakhstan
Quick Kazakhstan facts:
Total population: 17.04 million (2013) – Capital city: Astana – Largest city: Almaty – What are people from Kazakhstan called: Kazakhs
Currency: Kazakhstani tenge – Religion: Islam (70.2%), Christian (26.2%), others (0.2%), atheists (2.8%), Independence day: December 16, 1991
Main exports: Oil and oil products, machinery, meat, wool, coal, ferrous metals, and chemicals (source)
Different countries are accustomed to different traditions, cultures, secrets, and myths. Most of these will be unfamiliar to foreigners like us. All countries have their history and stories of battles that distinguish them from the others. Following are some facts about Kazakhstan.
- Kazakhstan is one of the most multicultural countries in the world. Many cultures are residing in this nation, and the country represents more than 120 nationalities.
- One of the fun facts about Kazakhstan is that there are three different New Year’s Eve events held. Two official ones of the Georgian calendar celebrated on 1st January and one on 22nd March to celebrate Nauryz.
- The country has three distinct time zones (+4, +5, and +6) depending on the season.
- The literal translation of the word ‘Kazakh’ is independent. The official translation means a free and independent nomad.
- Kazakhstan is the 9th largest country in the world in area, but it only has a population of 17.04 million. It is also the largest landlocked country
in the world. It is so large that the distance from one end to the other is the same distance between Istanbul and London.
- One of the funny facts about Kazakhstan is that there are more horses in the country than women! Many tourists had made this observation when they visited the country.
- Kazakhstan is rich in minerals and is capable of achieving a lot. Significant amounts of gas, oil, and other commodities are available here.
- The nation was ranked on the top for producing the most uranium in the world (14020 tons) in 2009. In 2011, Kazakhstan produced 19540 tons which contributed to 35% of the world’s production. It has the second largest uranium stock in the world.
- Kazakhstan is quite advanced in the exploration of outer space. The first artificial satellite in the world, Sputnik 1, and the first man to go into outer space from Baikonur Cosmodrome (Yuri Gagarin) were launched from Kazakhstan.
- There is a Kazakhstani culture which involves men usually not shaking women’s hands in a public gathering. Whenever they enter a room, they use both their hands to shake other men’s hands.
- Prostitution is legal in some parts of Kazakhstan.
- The country’s flag has a sun on it with 32 beams, which represent prosperity and progress.
We hope you enjoyed these 12 cool facts about Kazakhstan a very diverse country.
Please like and share on facebook and all other social media sites