Saudi Arabia is located in West Asia. The fifth largest country in Asia is officially known as the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. It shares a border with Iraq, Jordan and Kuwait in the north, Oman and Yemen in the south, Qatar, Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) in the east, the Gulf of Aqaba and Red Sea in the west. Riyadh is not only the capital but also the largest city in this country. This country covers a total area of 2,149,690 square kilometers of the earth and has around 30,770,375 people. The official language of Saudi Arabia is Arabic.
Saudi Arabia is known for being the largest exporter and producer of oil. It is the only country in the world that has coasts along both the Red Sea and the Persian Gulf. Most of the country’s terrain consists of desserts and barren landforms. Let´s get started with some Saudi Arabia Facts
Top 11 Fun and Interesting Facts about Saudi Arabia
- Saudi Arabia is quite literally named after its ruling family, which is the House of Saud. Thus, Saudi Arabia means Arabia of the House of Saud.
- It is the country where the religion Islam was born. It has the two holiest cities of this religion, Mecca and Medina.
- The construction of the Kingdom Tower (Jeddah Tower) started in 2013, which will be the tallest building in the world when completed. It will have a height of 3,280 feet and will be 600 feet taller than the current tallest building, Burj Khalifa. The Kingdom Tower will house a hotel, an observatory, office space and apartments on some floors.
- Saudi Arabia is the largest country in the Middle East, the largest country to exist without a river, and the 13th largest country in the world.
- It doesn’t have places of worship for non-Muslims as this country doesn’t provide them citizenship.
- In Saudi Arabia, there is a law to shut down everything during the time of their prayers, which can last up to 30 minutes.
- There are two types of police in Saudi Arabia, the civil police force and religious police force. The religious police force is called mutaween and is responsible for purifying the thoughts and actions of the Saudi civilians.
- Saudi Arabia is seriously against witchcraft. There is a special department in the civil police force called the Anti-Witchcraft Action Unit. This country’s laws are so strict against witchcraft that the famous Harry Potter series is also banned in the country.
- Prince Sultan bin Salman is the first Arab, first Saudi, and first Muslim to travel in space. In 1985, he rode aboard the US shuttle Discovery.
- This country spends 25% of its budget on education. The students enrolled in its public universities get a stipend of about $264 every month.
- 50% of the government sector jobs has female employees, who are given maternal leave for a maximum of 2 years.
Yeah, this country is pretty strict and we do not really recommend to travel to this country, unless you are a muslim of course. Still it has some nice facts.