Guyana, officially known as Co-operative Replubic of Guyana, is located in the north of South America, bordered by Venezuela to the west, Suriname to the east, Brazil to the south. In the north Guyana is bordered with the North Atlantic Ocean. It is an untravelled country and is a perfect spot for Adventurers, Explorers and people who wants to visit a less tourist country. Our top ten interesting facts about Guyana will give you a nice overview, and can decide whether it is worth a visit or not.
- Population: 735,445
- Area: 214,970km²
- Capital and Largest City: Georgetown
- Denonym: Guyanese
- Currency: Guyanese Dollar
- National Language: Guyanese Creole
- Official Language: English
- Motto: “One People, One Nation, One Destiny”
Top 10 Fun And Interesting Facts About Guyana
1. Guyana is an Amerindian word and this Name means “land of many waters”.
2. Kaieteur Falls in Guyana are around 741ft (226m) high and this means they are over four times higher than the Niagara Falls (51m)
3. Guyana is the 3rd smallest country on the mainland of South America (after Suriname and Frech Guiana) and around 70% of the total area is covered by the rain forests. Some places are even unaccessible by humans.
4. Mount Romania is the heightest point with a height of 2,835 meters in Guyana and the Esequibo River is the Longest River.
5. Guyana is part of the Anglophone Caribbean, those are a few Caribbean countries that are also part of South America. The Caribbean Community (CARICOM). It is also a founding member of Union of South American Nations since 2008.
6. Giant otter and harpy eagle, which are the two rarest species can be found in Guyana.
7. Guyana is also home to the largest spider species on earth; The goliath bird-eating spider (Theraphosa blondi), which can also be found in Guyana´s neighbor countries.
8. Guyana had the most successful lawyer, Sir Lionel Luckhoo, he succeeded in getting 245 successive murder-charge acquittals between the years 1940 and 1985.
9. Cricket is a major sport in Guyana and is a part of the West Indias Cricket team. Soft ball cricket or also called beach cricket and football (soccer) are the other two major sports. Guyana was a host to international cricket matches as part of the 2007 Cricket World Cup.
10. George’s Anglican Cathedral is the most prominent architectural landmark in this country, it is situated in the capital Georgetown and is among the tallest wooden churches on the planet with a height of 43.5 m (142ft). The church´s construction was completed in the year 1898.
Guyana is a nice little Country which is definitely good for nature lovers and people who like adventures.